Jan 14, 2026

A moment to breathe.

I have been woefully bad about updating and making regular entries of late just because I’ve been so very busy.

They put me on something of a shitshow project with a ton of items all that have to go out the door rather quickly but of course on the client side they don’t have all their ducks in a row BUT THEY NEED TO MOVE FORWARD!

I call the process something of ready, shoot, aim.

Overall though, they had expected me to achieve something over the holidays and the reality was they dumped a mess in my lap and I didn’t get all that far which was something that became clear as we entered the first week of the New Year and things weren’t all miraculously buttoned up.

On the good side, I’m working with the new group director who I really like. I really enjoy being able to have more contact with her because she’s just so very cool (which sounds much like some high school thing to say) but the truth is we share a lot of common interests. I don’t know how things are going on her end but my job is just to support her and make the client happy.

She’s been an inordinate amount of help too clearing up the mess.

Two weeks in, there was some anxiety on the client side but I had a handle on things and when we had a meeting earlier in the week the client was somewhat surprised by the amount of progress that had been made that they weren’t expecting. I have a plan of attack, it doesn’t line up with the client’s plan but it’s a plan that will allow us to achieve the goal of getting everything done by the deadline without making it stressful for all the people involved.

Me, I very much like to do things super low key. That’s just the way I like to work. Set it up the right way, do it once, maybe make one round of changes and then say goodbye to it.

Honestly though it hasn’t left me with a lot of ‘me time’ as I am trying to do other things while handling all of this and still get in the required napping that is a result of age. The best thing I can say about working remotely is that I am not locked into rigid hours so I can get work done, meet deadlines and still be a human.

Honestly, it’s something I have to be more and more aware of at this point. You know, the truth of things is that you don’t feel markedly different as you make a journey around the sun on this rock but it does catch up with you even if you don’t notice it. I want to push away the thought of getting older but my body sometimes just wants to give me a clear reminder of that fact. I am not boundless with energy as I might have once been so I have to allocate the energy I have in bursts.

On the big plus side? Well it’s the middle of January meaning that daylight savings time is soon to return as is warmer weather! YAY!

I seriously hate the cold and winter and shorter days. I look at the 10 day forecast religiously because I want to see what things will be like even if I don’t step outside of the house all that much. I want to be prepared for any shoveling or snow removal and it looks like two weeks out I may get stuck but even beyond that it means I really have to lock myself in the garage and get the snow thrower running.

There’s always things to do, so very much… but then it’s good to be busy, right? 

No comments: